Thursday, October 13, 2005

Musings on Rocky, Coulter, and Miers

I admit, I enjoy the Rocky movies - all five of them (although, I do not advise watching all five of them in a row). However, there comes a point where it gets a little excessive. Sylvester Stallone is 60 years old. And they're going to make a 6th Rocky movie????? Ummm....okay....I will not see it in the theatre (I didn't see any of the others in the theatre, of course, I was only 9 when the last one came out and I wasn't even born when the first came out). I may see it when it comes out on video, but I rather doubt it. Each successive Rocky movie was worse than the previous (the first, obviously, in my opinion, was the best), and I can only imagine what a 6th will be like.

Ann Coulter is offensive. I knew this before, and I don't care for her because of this, but she has personally offended me. Here's the paragraph:
"The average LSAT score at SMU Law School is 155. The average LSAT at Harvard is 170. That's a difference of approximately 1 1/2 standard deviations, a differential IQ experts routinely refer to as "big-ass" or "humongous." Whatever else you think of them, the average Harvard Law School student is very smart. I gather I have just committed a hate crime by saying so."
Now, the issue of Miers to the side, Coulter seems to suggest with this comment that the average person who attends a law schools with lower average LSAT scores is less intelligent than the average graduate from a law school with higher average LSAT scores. She is wrong and I am offended by her suggestion. Some persons choose to go to a school because of other reasons than the school is a top-5 law school. One reason perhaps is that those schools are incredibly expensive to attend. Many law students do not want to spend their short lives after law school working at a heart attack producing rate to pay off loans. Many students want to get out of law school and enjoy the rest of their lives doing a job that they enjoy, not one that makes them unpleasant to be around and makes them want to pull all their hair out. I realize that Coulter's article is directed at Miers' qualifications, and I admit that the fact that she graduated from SMU does not make me want to scream appoint her to the SCOTUS; however, the belief inherent in Coulter's article does make me want to scream confirm her to the SCOTUS so that we can undermine the idea that only Harvard/Yale graduates are worthy of any respect.

On the Miers issue, Peggy Noonan has an interesting article about it. I think I actually agree with her.
Here's the other side of her argument, though, to be fair.

More on Miers: Cal Thomas also has an article on Miers (who doesn't at this point?) - his editorial article is about her faith. He makes several good points about the use of her faith by her supporters (which at this point seem to be only the Bush family and a few faithful - just pointing out what seems to be the case!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Emmett Tyrrell. Never heard of him, but he makes more sense than the other 3, better known journalists. Why can't anyone just wait until the hearings and see what she has to say and how she answers her 'judges'. It takes more than a high LSAT to make a good judge. What's that virtue some people have been endowed with? -- Wisdom? In my opinion, that's pretty important, too, and it comes separate from the scores.