Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Childhood 'Dreams'...

When I was younger, much younger, I wanted to be a veterinarian....I wanted to be a dancer....I wanted to be a singer....I wanted to be a basketball player.....I wanted at some point to be a policewoman....
Then I decided I wanted to be a lawyer.....go to school in Austin, TX.....live for the rest of my life in New York or Florida in a one bedroom apartment.....
So the lawyer part I haven't given up on, but:
I'm a bit squeamish, no anatomy for me...
I have two left feet...
I only sing in big groups...
The two left feet again...
I don't really know what happened to the police gig idea...
I became a Sooner - I now dislike anything to do with burnt orange...
Crime...
hurricanes...
I don't like to live alone...

Life happens in strange ways sometimes. I noticed something about those, though. Many of them have to do with being the center of attention (call me a sanguine ;)). I just thought it was very interesting how God has changed my dreams and my life as I've given more and more of it over. Now I dream of changing the world, of bringing justice to those less fortunate - here or somewhere else in the world. I'm excited to see whether/how God will change those dreams (I realize that they are much more abstract than a dream to be a famous singer). I don't know what will happen in the future, but what I do know and take great comfort in is that if 'my' dreams are not in God's will, as long as I place my hand in His, He will change them and make me perfectly content to be where He puts me.
What were your childhood dreams? And what are you doing now? And, perhaps the more important question - can you see how God changed your dreams?

No comments: