Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Eternity...

I was going to write and send a very complaining email this evening. The person I was going to send this to did not know that he/she was going to receive such an email, but if he/she had known, he/she would be pleased that he/she did not receive such an email. Names have been excluded just in case I decide to send this email later (you never know). I decided not to send the email because I have a Matthew West song stuck in my head.
"I'm holding all of my life
up to the light
the light of eternity
I know what I should let go
I see what matters most
in the light of eternity
I want You to see me shine
in the light of eternity"
That's the chorus (i.e. what I have stuck in my head). What does that have to do with an email? I'm glad you asked ;). I realized as I was about halfway through the email that in the light of eternity (see, see, the lyrics...), what I was about to spend a good part of half an hour composing doesn't matter. I think the song is actually speaking of something more important than an email - probably about how we spend our lives. However, I also think that it has applicability to more than just how we spend our lives in a big way - namely, to how we spend our time and, more appropriate in my email situation, our attitudes. My attitude was one that was not glorifying to God. My attitude was not one that I would like to have for eternity, so why would I even want to have that attitude for 5 minutes (much less the half hour I would have spent on the email)? I think I'd much rather spend my time using my attitude to glorify God. So, I've decided to get rid of my complaining attitude and replace it with one that is much more cheerful (at least on the issue I was going to write about). So, I have been once again exhorted (this time by lyrics in a song) to examine the aspects of my life (the song does say, "all of my life") in the light of eternity, not in the light of the moment or in the light of this world (now there's a scary thought).
"Rejoice in the Lord, I will say it again: Rejoice!" Phil. 4:4

No comments: