Monday, July 25, 2005

Screwtape takes on the Blogosphere

Well, it's been awhile since I've posted anything, but I think that everyone who reads this knows that I've just started a new job that keeps me busier than the last and I don't have as much time to enjoy the internet (so I haven't run across as many editorials as usual). However, in my short downtime this afternoon, I did run across this very interesting site. Knowing my fondness for C.S. Lewis, no one will be surprised that I decided to link to it. Screwtape Letters is my favorite of his books (so far at least), so when I ran across Screwtape's First Letter on the Blogosphere, I had to let everyone else read it! Here's the excerpt that I found first, just to whet your appetite in case you don't have time to read the entire thing at the moment (the excerpt below is from Evangelical Outpost):
"Screwtape Returns -- Aaron from two or three found a new "letter" in which Screwtape instructs Wormwood on how to deal with his subject now that he has started a blog:

'It seems your charge has started what the human vermin call a "blog." This presents new issues that you can use to bring him down, but you must be careful because like with anything the danger is always there that he will use it to glorify the Enemy.
We can eliminate the danger from many of these "bloggers" from the beginning by focusing them on anything but their faith. Lead him to start a political site, a humor site, a blog about his cat, anything but a site that presents the Enemy's plan. We must keep them on either end of the extreme. The easiest way is to simply keep him away from speaking about Him.'

Aaron says, "if you are going to copy someone, copy a genius." Personally, I think C.S. Lewis would be flattered by such a worthy homage."

And, while this is linked in that post, I thought I'd include a link to another 'Screwtape Letter' floating out there in cyberspace.

On a personal note, here's the only thing I don't like about C.S. Lewis: have you ever prepared yourself to write something and then discovered someone has already written it and done a much better job than you could do yourself? That's how I feel every time I read something by Lewis. That's writer's jealousy for you (forget writer's block - this is a bigger problem!)!

No comments: