Monday, March 20, 2006

Martyrs

UPDATE: realized that the link to the article was not working - so I fixed it.

Ran across this article on Michelle Malkin's website about a Christian on trial in Afghanistan. Since Sharia law is part of the new Afghani Constitution (in a sense), a Muslim who leaves the faith can be executed. Read the article and Michelle's comments.

Here is LaShawn Barber's take on the same story. She discusses the first Christian martyr - Stephen.





These are clean (meaning no blood, for sure not in the manner of Mel Gibson's The Passion) depictions of the first martyr, Stephen. (Acts 6:8-8:2)

Short discussion about the persecution of Christians.
First, the use of persecution to scatter the believers to where God wanted them. God says, you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). And then, when they stay too long in one place, God sends persecution to scatter them to those places. (Acts 8:1) Oh He will do whatever it takes to get His will done!

Second, something that we should, if not expect, not be surprised about. "If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: 'No servant is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also." (John 15:19-20) Since we know that Jesus was persecuted, I think we can be pretty sure that Christians will be as well.

Third, something through which to, if not be thrilled about, rejoice. Because first, persecution will not separate us from our Savior. "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?" (Romans 8:35) And, second, when we are weak, we are strong. "But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)
So, anyway, maybe American Christians are complacent. The extent of the persecution in America is a bit of ragging by the atheists or those who just think Christianity is nonsense. Maybe what we need is a good dose of persecution to wake the American church up! (I don't know that I want to go through that, though) Just something to think about :).

All this is not to say that we should just sit by and watch as Christians throughout the world are persecuted!

There are things we can do to help. We can contact the Voice of the Martyrs or the White House (email - comments@whitehouse.gov). Or see International Christian Concern. (Hat's off to LaShawn Barber for collecting these helpful links).

In other news:
If you haven't watched the OU women's basketball team lately, you have missed out on some quality basketball. They are quite good (concession - they've only played 16 and 7 seeds in the tournament, but they have dominated both games). Tonight they beat BYU by a score of 86-70.

1 comment:

John Jansen said...

Thanks for these good insights on martyrdom.

I've heard it said that the 20th century saw more Christian martyrs than the previous 19 centuries combined. I've never actually seen the numbers to back this up, but I wouldn't doubt it.

BTW, I'm flattered that you listed our blog, Generations for Life, under the category "Thought Provoking Blogs of People I Wish I Knew".